Consultancy period 10 days
Consultancy location Kismayo and Berdere in Jubaland State of Somalia
Consultant type required Firm/person.
Responsibility for logistics arrangements and costs
AET will cover any Logistics arrangements and costs; including food, accommodation, and local transport.
The consultant shall be responsible for all taxes arising from the consultancy in line with the local tax regulations applicable in Somalia
The consultant will comply with standard AET Security procedures and adhere to AET’s safeguarding and PSEA policies
Qualification and experience
- An advanced degree in education, specializing in curriculum development, teaching methodology, or another closely related area.
- At least five years of relevant experience in curriculum and/or materials development for teacher training programs.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and implementing gender-sensitive educational programs in the context of complex socio-cultural challenges.
- Excellent technical knowledge of disaster management
- Good technical knowledge on child protection and child rights issues in line with UNICEF/INEE standards
- Previous experience working with a child-centered approach
- Strong understanding of the Somali context
- Fluency in Somali and English language
- Strong report writing skill
The consultant must meet the above-required qualifications and experience.
Africa Educational trust will share the manual to be used for the training with the successful consultant
Annex 1 – TERMS OF REFERENCE:
CONSULTANCY FOR TRAINING EMERGENCY AFFECTED TEACHERS AND HEADTEACHERS ON SUBJECT MATTER, METHODOLOGY, AND DISASTER MANAGEMENT
ADRA Somalia has sub-contracted Africa Educational Trust (AET) to implement selected activities under the Education Cannot Wait Multi-Year Resilience Program (ECW MYRP) in Jubaland state of the Federal Republic of Somalia. The project, dubbed Support for Emergency Education in Jubaland seeks to achieve the following outcomes:
Outcome 1: Equitable access to education for emergency-affected children and youth is increased Outcome 2: Learning outcomes are improved for emergency-affected children and youth
Outcome 3: Gender equity and equality are increased
Outcome 4: Protective learning environments are established for emergency-affected children and youth
Outcome 5: Communities are more resilient to shocks and prioritize education for children
AET will collaborate with schools, CECs, MoECHE, and state ministries of education, REOs, and host communities to target primary age children and out-of-school youth, especially IDPs and returnee communities, promoting equitable educational opportunities for girls and inclusion for children with disabilities. Through engagement with communities, the project will raise awareness of the importance of education engendering a positive context for community support for children to enter education. The project will increase access to primary education and ABE through the rehabilitation of existing learning spaces and provision of teaching and learning materials. Teachers and headteachers will be trained in contextually relevant pedagogy, including gender equity and inclusive approaches, improving the quality of teaching and learning outcomes for primary students as well as training in ABE for out-of-school youth.
One of the projects main activities is the training of emergency affected teachers and headteachers on subject matter, methodology, and disaster management
Objective of the consultancy
The overall objective of the training is to transfer the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes to the teachers and headteachers in crisis contexts. The training will dwell on four modules, namely:
- Pedagogy and inclusion
- Curriculum and planning
- Child protection and well being
- Teacher’s role and well being
In reference to the scope of work above, the consultant is expected to lead and accomplish the following:
- Inception report and training plan
- Training course outline and plan
- Consultancy report including a training report that at minimum describes what has been done under the consultancy, provides lessons learned and makes a recommendation on the way forward
Nature of work
The teachers and headteachers will be taught in person for a period of 8 days. The training will take place in Kismayo and Berdere in Jubaland state of Somalia (4 days each)
The key methodologies to be used by the trainer include discussion, brainstorming, questioning, and answering.
Duration of the training
The 8-day training will be targeting 60 ABE teachers and headteachers spread across ten primary schools in Jubaland state of the federal republic of Somalia
Obligations of AET
- Prepare any logistical and administrative support needed for the training and by the trainer
- Supervise the training proceedings and maintain a daily attendance record
- Brief the trainer on the training and its expectations
- Pay the trainer’s facilitation fee
Obligation of the consultant
- Making necessary preparation for the smooth running of the training programme
- Provide the timetable and methodology for the training to AET prior to the start of the training
- Conduct 8 days of in-person training for 60 teachers and headteachers spread across ten primary schools in Jubaland State of Somalia
- Ensure that the training achieves all the intended outputs as per TOR provided
- Develop and share the training report with AET
Modalities of payment
The trainer will be contracted for a period of 10 days including preparation and report writing. The payment will be effected once he/she completes the training, submits the report and the report is approved by AET.
How to apply
Interested consultants should submit their applications via email to email@example.com
The applications should be submitted in PDF format as one document comprising technical and financial sections as detailed below.
- A technical proposal with a detailed response to the TOR, with a specific focus on the scope of work, methodology to be used, and key selection criteria.
- Initial work plan based on the methodology outlined, and an indication of availability
- A financial proposal detailing the daily rate expected but not including accommodation, transportation, and all other cost related to this assignment.
- CV of the consultant or company profile and CV’s of key experts in the case of a firm
- Detailed budget breakdown based on expected daily rates.
Applicants should also indicate the date they are available to start working on the consultancy
All applications MUST be submitted on or before the closing date below to be considered for the assignment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted