TERMS OF REFERENCE
Technical Advisor for Early Childhood Education (ECE)
|I. General Information|
|Post/Title:||ECE Technical Advisor, Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education|
|Department||ECE Unit at Federal MOECHE and FMS|
|Reporting Lines||Director General and Head of ECE Unit|
|Key Internal Contacts:||Ministry leadership (Minister, State Minister, Deputy Minister and Director General)|
|Key External Contacts:||Federal Member states Ministries of Education (Jubaland, South West, Hirshabelle, Galmudug and Banaadir Regional Administration).|
|Duration of Contract:||12months|
|PaymeII. Backgroundnt:||· Advisor to submit monthly progress reports and/or any other documentation to demonstrate the objectives is being met.· Monthly payment will be against the satisfactory completion of the deliverables and payment is based on the deliverables|
|Currently, Early Childhood Development (ECD) is becoming a global agenda to ensure children grow to their full developmental potential. And Early Childhood Education (ECE) is a critical sub sector of it. The Government of Somalia recognizes that ECE interventions are significant to the social and economic development of the country as these interventions provide children with a fairer and better start in life. Although in Somalia ECE remains an under-resourced sub-sector, majority of children in age group 3-6 years appear to be enrolled in Quranic schools, which fall under the authority of the Ministry of Religion and are typically funded and managed by parents or community-level organizations. In Somalia, no clear national policy framework or quality standards are in place for formal ECE; there are no qualification or training systems in place for ECE teachers; there is no standardized formal ECE curriculum framework and no government certified ECE learning materials for small children.Presently, the government of Somalia, particularly Ministry of Education, Culture & Higher Education needs to strengthen the capacity ECE units at federal and state-level to become fully functional and efficiently manage and expand the delivery of ECE services to young children.|
|The objective of this assignment is to strengthen the capacity ECE units at federal and state-level to become fully functional and efficiently manage and expand the delivery of ECE services to young children|
|IV Roles and responsibilities|
|1. Develop institutional structures within the MoECHE to manage and regulate the ECE subsector;2. Develop the roadmap and action plan to strengthen the capacity of the ECE Units at federal and state-level.
3. Provide on-job trainings, guidance, mentoring to the staff of ECE Unit at the Federal MoECHE and Federal Member States.
4. Provide technical guidance and strategic coordination to all ECE programs,
5. Develop information-sharing tools and mechanisms for use by the ECE Technical Working Group.
6. Draft, finalize and validate a policy framework for ECE in line with the National Education policy;
7. Develop implementation guidelines to advocate for expanding Early Childhood Learning services for all children in Somalia,
8. Review and expand the existing ECE curriculum framework within the national curriculum framework,
9. Contribute to the development of ECE syllabus/curriculum based on the reviewed and finalized ECE policy and curriculum framework.
10. Provide technical support to ECE trainer of trainees to conduct the in-service training for ECE Teachers and caregivers.
11. Develop supervision tools for Quality Assurance of ECE facilities/learning
12. Any other task assigned by the Director General
|V. Required expertise, qualifications and competencies|
|Functional Competencies· Advanced degree in early childhood education, social sciences or related discipline is essential
· 5 years’ experience preferably in ECE subsector, policy development and analysis
· Proven expertise in Early Childhood Development policy, curriculum, programs and training
· Familiarity with the context of early childhood at international level particularly, of the countries in East Africa
· Strong research and excellent writing skills in English
· Excellent organizational skills
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
· Fluency in Somali and English
· Ability to be flexible and respond to changes to text as part of the review and feedback process;
· Strong interpersonal skills, able to communicate and work with diverse people
· Participate effectively in team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating effectively with others;
· Focus and result oriented
|How to apply|
|Interested candidates are requested to apply online by clicking and following the link below by 15-July-2020: http://moe.gov.so/job_appNB:
· Late applications will not be considered.