Terms of Reference (TOR) for Income Generation Groups Business proposals development support consultant.
VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in Southern Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda and Ethiopia. With a focus on livestock health, agriculture, value chain and marketing, food safety, natural resources management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency but also developing the capacities of communities and governmental institutions, VSF Germany work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
The livestock accounts for about 60-70% of the total GDP and also employs 80% of the workforce in Somaliland: significantly contributing to the national economy. In different Somali communities, livestock producers are regarded as producers of milk and meat, income generators and stores of wealth. Fresh milk and other dairy products are a staple food, vital items of trade for daily income but actual local supply below demand in both urban and rural areas in terms of quantity and quality in Somaliland. The below demand milk supply of milk is a function of low hygienic and quality standards since most of the trade is done through informal channels, where rules and regulations, if any, are hardly observed.
About the project
VSF- Germany has been implementing the BMZ funded project to strengthen dairy and meat value chain for income and food safety in agro-pastoral systems in collaboration with the Ministry of Livestock and other stakeholders of Somaliland. In addition, the project will collaborate closely with other key stakeholders – at producers, trader and consumer levels while strengthening public and private partnership (PPP), particularly in the dairy and meat sectors.
The IGAs face problems arising from lack of sufficient knowledge/skills in running businesses as well as developing proposals to access financial services, credit applications, marketing of products and general management.
2. The objective of consultancy:
The main objective of the Business proposal development assignment is to increase the capacity and competitiveness of business groups in the meat and milk sectors and to ensure that locally needed products are marketed to meet customers’ demands and enable the groups to grow their businesses by making linkages with main regional market of Hargeisa.
The specific objectives of this assignment are to;
i) Support the IGAs (Income generating activities) groups to develop a proposal of business concepts including an activity budget, work-plan and marketing plan which can be financed under the project.
ii) Provide guidance for project staff on the areas that vendors need mentoring in business planning, management and monitoring.
3. Rationale for the expert support to groups
Following the selection of Business groups (IGAs), the project plans to support them with grants for viable business ventures. A capital start-up kit will be provided to the IGA groups. Before being provided with the business grant support, each group will be required to develop a business proposal. This will require a business expert input by guiding each group to develop business plan including business budget which they can submit to the project (VSFG) for funding as a business grant.
4. Scope of work and duration:
The proposal development support consultant will guide and inform the design of business development proposals for 10 IGAs in Gabiley and Wajaale districts in close collaboration with the project team; Project Manager, senior project officer, and District-based Field Officers. The consultant will be required, based on experience, to influence the methodology to develop the businesses concepts into proposals, informing what IGAs require to build growing and sustainable businesses.
The consultant will be expected to:
- Conduct a literature review of the relevant project documents, baseline surveys conducted to understand the context of the IGAs and project.
- Provide technical guidance on all aspects of the business proposal development process e.g., business plan preparation, business budget preparation, selecting business linkages and market services.
- Provide guidance on the ways that the funded businesses proposals can contribute to the overall impact of the project. Hence, advice suitable activities and estimate funding for each IGA.
- Provide an estimate of income for each IGA from the marketing of their products by the end of the project (end of 2020).
- Advice management and operational reforms needed for each IGA group, and if new skills are needed to improve their capacity to meet the running of the proposed businesses/plans.
The expected outputs are as follows: Assessment report of the meeting with selected IGAs Delivery of mentoring/coaching sessions Development of 15 business proposals for IGAs Plan for measuring the performance of the operations of each IGA and progress monitoring forms and tools.
Final assignment report detailing the progress of the Business groups and outline of required actions for future improvement.
Geographic focus and target
Based on the project target areas, the consultant will work with 10 IGA groups (5 IGA per location) in Gebiley and Wajaale districts of Maroodi-jeex region.
Duration of Assignment
The entire assignment must be completed within 30 days from the start date, with the following timeline:
- Review all relevant project documents and the documents IGAs – Preparatory activities – 2 days – Meeting with project staff.
- Assessment meetings with IGAs – 7 days for site visits and meeting with IGAs to assess their operations and aspirations.
- Mentoring sessions and proposal writing– 17 days, writing and editing proposals.
- Final report – 1 day – presentation of the first draft of proposal developed with each group.
- Incorporating feedback from VSFG and making the needed revisions- 3 days.
- Presentation of the final draft to VSF G. Management- 1 day.
The expert will visit and interact with each group on-site at the IGA group’s business locations. The expert will review project documents related to support to IGA groups; visit each group to assess their business skills; assess each group’s business operations and plans for improving their businesses, and finally guide each IGA group to develop business plan which can be funded by the project (VSFG). The business proposal will detail the business plan and the budget required by each group. The consultant and IGA groups will be guided by VSFG to come up with business budget (grant) that fall within the range of the project budget. IGA groups that need more capacity building and attention in managing the required business will be identified during the assessment meetings.
6. Profile of consultant
- Master’s degree in Business administration/ management, marketing, economics, development studies, Agricultural Economics or other related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in rural business development, livestock Sector economy, microfinance and marketing, and/or value chain analysis.
- Similar assignments related to rural small-scale businesses development; business development, Business training and/or technical support is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Good Planning and organization skills.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) and Somali is required.
- 1st installment, the Consultant/firm will be paid 50% of the quoted amount after submission of the draft assignment report and IGAs proposals.
- 2nd installment, the remaining amount shall be paid upon the acceptance of the final report and business proposals. The payments will be made in A/C payee cheques/or direct bank transfer in the name of the consultant or firm as indicated in the signed contract. VSF Germany will deduct with-holding tax at source as per the rules of taxation governing VSFG operations and it will be deposited directly to the custodian of such
tax. No other benefits shall be admissible beyond what is stipulated in the contract, nor does it guarantee a regular position in VSF Germany.
Commitments: All the outputs – Reports, database, etc. produced by this assignment will not be disseminated in part or whole without express authority from VSF-Germany. Thus the consultant shall not produce these materials in any form (electronic, hard copies, etc.) to a third party without written permission from VSF Germany.
How to apply
9. Application process:
Interested Institutions/ consultants are requested to read and strictly follow the detailed Terms of Reference and submit both technical and financial proposals not later than Wednesday 30th, September 2020.
Technical proposals should include:**
- Preliminary work plan
- Detailed implementation methodology.
- CV’s of applicant or employee.
- Minimum of three references for similar projects implemented, preferably INGO or local NGO experiences.
- List of previous customers.
Financial proposals should include:
- Preliminary general budget including consultancy fee for one person. The proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and CC to email@example.com.Pleaseindicate: “Proposal development support consultant” in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.