This is the Terms of Reference (TOR) for the required technical support towards conducting capacity building training for staff from the Federal Ministry of Youth and Federal member states’ Ministries of youth and local government. The selected training will train ministry staff on how to “Leadership and Communication Skills Training including”**. The capacity building is related to gender-responsive equitable programming, good governance, and youth inclusion, which will also be based on needs assessment.
This TOR, therefore, provides information on the overall objectives of the consultancy assignment, the general methodology, tools, and approaches, expected outputs/deliverables, and the required qualification and experiences of the consultant to conduct the training.
Shaqodoon Organization is implementing a project titled “Inclusive Local Economic Development” (ILED) program, under the European Union’s emergency trust fund for stability and addressing the root causes of irregular migration and displaced persons in Africa (i.e., Trust Fund, EU TF). The “Inclusive Local Economic Development” program contributes to three results, stabilization and local Governance, inclusive and sustainable growth and protection, and graduation of the most vulnerable. It contributes to Somalia’s stability by extending state authority and services, promoting local reconciliation and peacebuilding, creating inclusive economic opportunities, and protecting the most vulnerable. One of the project outcomes is enhancing and developing relevant staff’s capacity in line ministries and Local Government in Somalia’s FMS and Federal government.
Shaqodoon Organization developed a capacity needs assessment tool used to assess the Ministry’s capacity-building needs. The results of this assessment of each Ministry indicate the performance of each Ministry’s capacity-building work and improve planning and intervention strategies to build gender-responsive solid equitable programming, good Governance, and youth inclusion.
Against that background, Shaqodoon Organization is looking for a consultant to provide capacity-building training for Ministries of Youth, Sport and Labor in Puntland, Galmudug, Hirshabele, Somali Federal Government, South West State, and Jubaland.
3. Purpose of the assignment:
This consultancy’s overall objective is to train and equip the Ministries of Youth, Sport and Labor staff and conduct Leadership and Communication Skills Training with the following subsections: Leadership and Good Governance, Coaching, and Motivation, Communicating Skills for Managers, Conflict Resolution, and Emergency Communications, Developing Leadership Capabilities, Employee Engagement, Giving Recognition and Feedback, Management and Leadership Skills and Performance Management.
For the capacity training workshop, you are expected to:
i. Develop training manual, schedule, and tools for the training to be delivered.
ii. Deliver training on Developing and Implementing Youth policy to improve Youth services.
iii. Share training tools developed with Shaqodoon Organization before the training date.
iv. Develop and submit high-quality training reports.
4. Methodology and approaches
The consultancy firm will use participatory approaches and methods. The training will be delivered using a variety of training and facilitation methodologies and techniques. These methods are aimed to enhance individual and group interaction while maximizing learning. Some of these methods are:
• PowerPoint Presentation
• Group debriefs.
• Printed Handouts
• Individual and team exercises
• Behavior modeling and role-plays
• One-to-one and group discussions
• Individual action plans (to follow up and evaluate training results trainees discuss their plans for their business and how they will reflect on what they learned from the training)
5. Expected deliverables/Outcomes.
i. Inception report: Outlining details/ process of how the three (3) three-day training will be conducted.
ii. Develop and submit the training schedules and tools with the training themes to Shaqodoon Organization.
iii. Conduct training workshops in each of the seven locations for the selected staff of the Ministries.
iv. Compile and submit quality training reports to Shaqodoon Organization for the training conducted.
The assignment is planned to be undertaken within 21 days.
- Development, Presentation, and submission of inception report to Shaqodoon Organization.
- Develop and submit the training materials, schedule, and tools with different themes for the three capacity training workshops to Shaqodoon Organization.
- Leadership and Communication Skills Training with the following subsections: Leadership and Good Governance, Coaching, and Motivation, Communicating Skills for Managers, Conflict Resolution, and Emergency Communications, Developing Leadership Capabilities, Employee Engagement, Giving Recognition and Feedback, Management and Leadership Skills and Performance Management.
- Compile and submit a quality report to Shaqodoon Organization from the training conducted.
1. Qualifications and required competencies for the consultancy Firms.
Shaqodoon organization is looking for a consultant with the following skills and competencies:
• Relevant academic background in policy development, social sciences, Leadership and Management and Human Resource Development and environment.
• Knowledge and experience in policy development, institutional development, and evidence with a certificate in this respect is an added advantage.
• The consulting should have experience of at least 5 years of recent working experience in the field of training management and developing a training curriculum.
• Demonstrated experience in carrying out similar assignments.
• Extensive work experience and proven record in Capacity development, advocacy, Organizational/institutional developments, and strategic management.
• Strong analytical and excellent writing and reporting skills.
• Familiarity with NGO context.
• Ability to work efficiently and deliver on committed outputs under the assignment within agreed timelines and deadlines.
• Competent resource personnel who are easy to mobilize and access multiple locations.