The community-based child protection capacity gaps assessment’s main objectives are to understand the capacity gaps and needs of child protection structures/actors working in Middle Shabelle, in order to equip them with relevant and transferrable skills to deliver quality child protection services over time by:
a) Working towards a more strategic, systematic, coordinated and predictable approach for delivering trainings/ supporting capacity building initiatives with child protection structures/workers in middle Shabelle.
b) Supporting interagency capacity building initiatives to improve the efficiency and impact of child protection sub-sector efforts.
1. Specific Objectives
· Identify crucial capacity gaps of the child protection structures in order to equip them with relevant and right skills for quality service delivery of child protection services.
· Assess service provision that needs to be addressed by the project and other stakeholders (e.g. community, civil society, local authorities, NGOs and non-child protection humanitarian actors) in order to the needs and priorities of the most vulnerable children.
· Document child protection needs of children in the targeted locations with particular focus on Children associated with armed groups/forces (CAFAAG), separated and unaccompanied children (UASC), child labour, psychosocial wellbeing, and other priority concerns such as abuse, exploitation etc and role of the affected community in child protection.
· Identify existing strength and gaps in child protection (policy, legal and interventions).
· Identify existing child protection service providers in the targeted locations, type and quality of child protection support provided.
The consultant is expected to employ wide-range of data collection methodologies including, but not limited to the following:
· Secondary data review/desk review
· Key informant interview with the community-based Child protection committees, community leaders, child protection practitioners, local authorities and humanitarian agencies working directly with the affected children in the targeted locations.
· Semi-structured interviews with key stakeholders involved in the implementation of child protection activities in Balcad and Jowhar.
3. Scope of Work (SOW)
The scope of work will cover the following key areas related to capacity gaps assessments of the child protection community-based structures.
· Existing community mechanisms to protection children against all forms of abuse.
· Capacities for provision of people/resources at community level to provide support for children.
· Common harmful practices (domestic and/or societal) related to IDP children, Children associated with armed forces/groups (CAFAAG), Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC) and those at risk.
· Types and levels of violence towards girls and boys in the targeted community
· Causes and level of risks to children resulting from violence and/or harmful practices
· Existence of active participation of children in acts of violence
· Children’s and their caregivers’ (positive and negative) coping mechanisms
· Communities attitude and practice towards protection of children from hazardous and worst forms of child labour.
· Accessibility of basic services to Children associated with armed forces/groups (CAFAAG), Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC) and other vulnerable children.
How to apply
Interested and qualified consultant or team of consultants should submit the following to SOS CV Somalia:
a) The technical proposal detailing the methodology of undertaking the assignments described in the TOR, tentative work plan as well as relevant knowledge and technical expertise of the consultant/consultants undertaking the assignment.
b) Company profile or CV including a minimum of 3 references
c) The financial proposal indicating all-inclusive costs for undertaking the tasks described in this Terms of Reference (ToR)
d) A sample of previously conducted similar studies.
e) Detailed budget breakdown based on expected daily rates.
Location: The consultancy will take place in Middle Shabelle Region (Balcad & Jowhar).
How to Apply
To submit applications for this consultancy, please send the documentation to:
Please send your completed applications not later than 29th March, 2021.