Overall purpose of the role:
The Social Protection Advisor-MOLSA will be provide technical advice in the design and implementation of social protection programming, which includes the design and piloting of social transfer models, the provision of capacity strengthening, advisory, policy and planning support to the SAGAL programme. The Senior MoLSA SAGAL Social Protection Technical Advisor will report to General Director of the Ministry and Technically will be supported by DRC Somalia Social Protection Manager. The Social Transfer Advisor (FMS) is required to support the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) in the implementation of an EU -funded Somalia project entitled the Social Transfers to Vulnerable Somali people (SAGAL) component of the Inclusive Local and Economic Development project in Somalia. SAGAL’s overall objective is the improved resilience and poverty reduction of poor and marginalized households and communities in Somalia. The Project will provide cash based social transfers complemented by systems building within the government for delivery of social protection. The cash based social transfers with complementary referrals will seek to positively transform gender norms and reduce gender barriers and identify means and pathways for the inclusion of persons with disabilities (PWDs). This three-year project will continue through to March 2024. In support of the activities under SAGAL, MoLSA seeks to hire a Social Transfer Advisor (FMS) to support its operations and administration.
· Support prototype-based learning and consultation to inform the design of future government-led social protection schemes that are inclusive.
· Support the development of government-owned targeting, registration and payment mechanisms.
· Support the interagency coordination mechanism for implementing the Social Protection Policy led by MoLSA and involving FMS and local authorities, UN agencies, humanitarian and development partners, national and international NGOs, and civil society.
· Support the government to understand the vital link between cash and gender norms by demonstrating the approaches and building capacity to understand the evidence and benefits.
· Support studies and collection of evidence on the vulnerability of the population and the impact of cash based social transfer projects to inform programming priorities under this policy.
· Serve as a point of contact and sensitize the relevant representatives at counterpart ministries at the FMS level, community-based organizations (CBOs) and other social partners on social protection and to create champions for SAGAL at the FMS, district and local levels.
· Facilitate cooperation between the MoLSA/FGS and the relevant representatives at counterpart ministries at the FMS, district and local level on SAGAL activities and communicate priorities and concerns of the represented FMS to the SSTCU at the FGS level.
· Coordinate with the relevant representatives at counterpart ministries at the FMS level, the SSTCU/MoLSA, and field teams of the Cash Consortium members, as well as the other social protection partners to support the implementation of the SAGAL in his/her respective FMS.
· Attend and organize relevant meetings at FMS, district and local levels to support the implementation and coordination of SAGAL activities, as requested by the representing FMS and the SSTCU/MoLSA.
· Prepare briefing notes, debriefs, reports necessary for the implementation and coordination of SAGAL activities and ensure follow-up on the represented FMS progress, as required.
· Notify the SSTCU/MoLSA of pending and important issues to be raised during social protection meetings.
· Recommend responses and action plans as a result of interacting with the project’s field team and the local community.
· Enable the flow of information between all relevant parties, particularly the relevant representatives at counterpart ministries at the FMS level, and reporting immediately to the SSTCU/MoLSA complaints related to the SAGAL in line with SAGAL complaints procedure for the SSTCU/MoLSA to respond as necessary.
· In collaboration with relevant representatives at counterpart ministries at the FMS level, the SSTCU/MoLSA, and field teams of the Cash Consortium, organize and participate in community sensitization and outreach activities to raise awareness.
· Compile and share reports about particular incidents, events, or updates on important issue for the project.
· Organise and participate in trainings, workshops, supervision and implementation support missions by MoLSA.
· Perform any other duties as required by the SSTCU/MoLSA and/or represented FMS authority.
The candidates should have the following desired qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: development studies, social work or care, management, public administration or business administration or any other relevant fields.
· 5 years of relevant working experience at the national or international level in project/programme coordination and management areas including humanitarian organizations, international NGOs, and government.
· Demonstrated knowledge of the Somalia development agenda, mechanisms and principles of social protection, safety net programs and intra-governmental processes desired. Willingness to undertake in training on safety nets and social protection.
· Proven skills and ability in effectively communicating with and coordinating across diverse groups of stakeholders, including project staff, partners, government authorities, private sector and communities.
· Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills in Somali and English, including the ability to communicate proactively with key stakeholders, correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately. The candidate will demonstrate openness in sharing information.
· Readiness and proven ability to work in multi-cultural environment.
· Complete fluency and writing skills in Somali and English.
To be successful in this role we expect you to demonstrate your leadership and capacity for this position which is key for timely and qualitative aid delivery.
· Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
· In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies.
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
· Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
· Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Availability: July, 2021
Duty station: Jowhar
Reporting to: Director General of ministry with technical assistant from DRC Social Protection Manager
Duration: The total duration is 33 Months, an initial one-year contract will be issued to the successful candidate and will be renewed based on yearly basis based on good performance.
Salary: Monthly package will be based on Consortium standard rate for Sate level social advisors.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post through email@example.com no later than 29th June 2021.
We only accept applications sent via the above email address.