TERMS OF REFERENCE-RECRUITMENT OF TRAINING Facilitators
Project Background and Context
|Programme Location:||North villages of Gabiley regions|
|Programme Name:||ActionAid 2020 LRP Programme – Gabiley Region|
|Program Executed by:||ActionAid Somaliland|
|Cooperating Partner Position:||Training facilitator|
Action Aid International Somaliland (AAIS) is part of global federation working to end poverty and injustice with thousands of communities and millions of people across the planet guided by its strategy ‘Action for global Justice’ that ensures coherence, aligning with the poor and excluded people, re-asserting women’s rights, strengthening accountability, and building resilience against shocks & hazards. AAIS is planning to conduct ‘Training on organic pesticides and fertilizers for 10 villages in LRPs of Gabiley Region.
Strengthening the capacity of the smallholder farmers through agriculture extension services is crucial for the common good of the people as this brings better life for the people. Therefore, ActionAid is committed to help farmers to adapt modern farming techniques and watershed management in order to attain food security to end poverty, injustice and exclusion. The training will be conducted at a community level to attract more participants and leverage the benefit to wider community at the grassroots level. The training will target 10 communities in Gabiley regions.
The training will educate farmers in identifying the most common diseases and pests that affect their farms at different period of the year. The training will also focus on creating awareness on different pest and disease management options and on the most common chemicals used for these diseases and pests that reduces their agricultural production. The training will also cover the health risks associated with the pest controlling substances and how they can safely handle in applying them to their farms.
- Specific Objectives
The core objectives of the training are the following:
- To train smallholder farmers on organic pesticides and fertilizers
- To identify the diseases and pests that affects the agricultural production
- To equip the farmers with the best ways to apply chemical fertilizers and control diseases and pests
- To educate farmers on health risks and how to how to safely apply chemicals of controlling the diseases and pests
The potential facilitator is expected to use a combination of methods as outlined below:
- User-friendly presentations for illiterate and semi-illiterate rural people
- Different facilitation/learning techniques such as group discussions, role play and any other relevant exercise.
- Participants share case stories and practical experience
- Discussions on the subject matter
- Practical demonstrations.
- Duration of the assignment
The assignment will be completed within thirty (30) working days. There will be three (3) days for each community.
- Duties and responsibilities
The training facilitator is expected to perform the following activities:
- Come up with detailed proposal reflecting training contents and methodologies for ActionAid approval
- Develop quality training materials i.e. training manual, any relevant extension advisory services, and tools for farmers training at village level for ActionAid approval.
- Facilitate four hours training on a daily basis on the assigned days.
- Responsible for recording daily attendance of participants and handling sessions with strict supervision and controlling. The participant lists have to be disaggregated by gender and age
- Demonstrate quality facilitation skills during the sessions
- Produce quality report with sound case studies and action photos
- Expected Outputs:
- Enhanced farmers’ understanding on organic pest control practices
- A comprehensive Training report with case studies, testimonies, anecdotes and lesson learned regarding organic pest and controlling mechanism
- Personal specifications
The applicant should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, environmental science or related fields. Postgraduate Degree is highly treasured.
- At least five years of concrete experience in conducting similar training and community work in agro-pastoral and rural settings
- Excellent communication and dissemination skills and fluency in Somali and English languages
- Strong facilitation skills
- Report writing skills
- The application deadline is November 15, 2020 at 4:00 PM