Terms of Reference BMM Somalia Communications Consultant
The objective of the Better Migration Management (BMM) programme is to improve the human-rights based management of safe, orderly and regular migration and to support competent national authorities addressing the trafficking in human beings and the smuggling of migrants within and from the Horn of Africa region.
The project is commissioned by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and is co-funded by the European Union for the duration from October 2019 to September 2022. The project is implemented by a partnership of British Council, Civipol, IOM, UNODC, and the lead organization GIZ. The target countries in the Horn of Africa are Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda.
The BMM has three components:
- Strengthening of national and regional migration governance
- Increasing of national and cross-border cooperation on trafficking and smuggling
- Support and protection of migrants
The operative context ofBMM is one that is politically sensitive andfaces close political, public andmedia scrutiny. Therefore, the programme’s objectives and achievements shall be communicated to satisfy the information needs of different stakeholders to avoid dissemination of misinformation and misinterpretation.
Purpose of assignment
The role of the consultant is to provide communications support to the BMM programme in Somalia. The assignment should ensure consistent quality of media and public relations work in accordance with BMM communication and visibility guidelines and satisfy the expectations of the contracting authorities EU and BMZ, as well as acknowledge the politically sensitive environment theproject operates in.
In close coordination with the BMM Communication Officer based in Brussels and with the BMM Communications Focal Point in Somalia, the consultant will:
- Produceup to 5 newsstories in English
- Produce up to 20 Facebook posts and tweets on the content of the written articles for promotion in English, which will be released via online channels of EU, GIZ and the German Embassy
- Further support for communication (press releases in English to the local media, production of communication material in English or Somali)
The consultant will report in English to the regional office and BMM Communication Officer based in Brussels.
- At least 5 years’ extensive experience in communication including hands-on experience in writing impact stories and development of communications materials
- Previous experience with international development agencies would be an asset
- Extensive experience with social media applications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent creative/journalistic writing skills, and creative approach to communications
- Fluency in English and Somali
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision, dynamic, proactive,
creative and to work under pressure
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, power point etc.)
- Knowledge of GIZ, its procedures and BMM will be an added advantage
Duration of the assignment
The consultancy period will be up to 25 working days over a period of 8 months effective 1 August 2020 – 31 March 2021. The consultant will be based in Hargeisa with possibility of travel to project sites in Somalia Federal Member States to produce a story. Travel will be on a need basis and will be taken care of directly by GIZ.
How to apply
Qualified candidates are requested to email CV, a technical proposal of how you will undertake the assignment and financial report. In your proposal please indicate your relevant experience and provide a portfolio of writing samples, indicate availability for the whole year, and to undertake the terms of reference above. The financial proposal indicates your daily rate.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their CV, technical proposal through email to KE_Inquiry@giz.de with subject line as “83356312” and the deadline for submission by 26th July 2020@ 16:00hrs ( East Africa).