Directorate of Environment and Climate Change
|TERMS OF REFERENCEDeveloping a Public Awareness and Communication Campaign Plan|
|Procurement Process:||RFP – Request for Proposal|
|Deadline:||13th – December -2020 @ 12:00 AM (Somalia time)|
|Posted on:||30th – November -2020 @ 03:06 AM (Somalia time)|
|Development Area:||Consultant Service|
The Cross-Cutting Capacity Development (CCCD) project provides an opportunity to strengthen Somalia’s institutional capacities to meet and sustain Rio Convention obligations. This project directly addresses three main categories of articles under the three Rio Conventions. The project will be implemented through three strategically linked components, each of which contains a set of outputs with their respective activities. At the end of the project, each of the three components will result in an expected outcome, namely:
- Environmental governance is improved through strengthened policy coordination,
- Global environmental governance is decentralized, and
- Environmental attitudes and values for the global environment are improved.
The project conforms to the GEF CCCD Strategy, specifically operational frameworks 2, 3, and 4. The project will take an adaptive collaborative management approach that engages stakeholders as collaborators in the design and implementation of project activities that take into account unintended consequences that could arise from policy interventions. The project’s strategy of pursuing socio-economic and environmental mainstreaming at the national and sub-national level is in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Key objectives of the assignment
The main objective of the assignment is to improve environmental attitudes and values for the global environment. The focus is to strengthen the awareness and understanding of environment among the wider population in Somalia. This is key to ensuring the institutional sustainability of project outputs by raising an overall understanding and greater value of how addressing global environmental obligations under the Rio Convention contribute to addressing important and immediate socio-economic development priorities. It is intended to increase the number of individuals that are more conscious of the inherent value and need to more environmentally friendly and sustainable development, in particular the value of meeting Rio Convention obligations. This component focuses on increasing awareness of the value of the environment as well as the Rio Conventions.
- Main Assignment
The Directorate of Environment and Climate Change (DOECC) is the focal point for the three Rio Conventions responsible for overseeing and coordinating the project’s implementation and execution. With support of UNDP the Directorate of Environment and Climate Change DOECC is now inviting expressions of interest from eligible and qualified individuals and firms to undertake the preparation of the development of the public awareness and communication campaign plan.
The assignment is to develop and validate public awareness and communication campaign plan. This activity will elaborate and organize the set of awareness-raising activities that will be undertaken by the project. The plan will target the public at large, private sector, planners and decision-makers, the media, and expert practitioners working in the field such as NGOs, academics and graduate students. The action plan will include media outreach and public awareness activities, social media campaigns, story gathering, video, print materials, online communications, publication of best practices/case studies, policy briefs etc.
- Specific main activities
- Assess environmental awareness and value of the project.
- Undertake broad-based stakeholder consultations towards the implementation of the assignment.
- Develop and validate public awareness and communication plan to increase awareness on environmentally friendly activities, sustainable development and the need to fulfill global environmental obligations, particularly the Rio Conventions. Prepare an action plan with timeline and budgets for the development and the delivering of campaigns, ensuring that all planned activities stay within a pre-defined budget.
The public awareness and communication campaign plan will provide operational guidance for the implementation of the following, among others:
- Identify and map appropriate communication channels for enhancing public awareness at the national and sub-national levels.
- Design appropriate communication and advocacy tools to be used in the public awareness campaigns.
- Conceptualize, develop layout, format and design all promotional materials and activities agreed as part of the public awareness and communication plan to advertise project products to target audience and media, including project folders, banners, billboards, posters, web campaign, photo/drawing essays, campaigns for broadcast, print and social media.
- Develop an inventory of media and public relations professionals / agencies that can be utilized during project implementation and facilitate contact with them when necessary. Social media sites must also be monitored to have better coverage.
- Develop guidelines for the public policy dialogues.
- Develop guidelines for conducting Environmental Surveys and monitoring.
- Facilitate the implementation of key elements of the public awareness and communication campaign plan.
- Expected Deliverables
The Consultant/Firm will submit the following as outputs:
A comprehensive public awareness and communication plan for the Directorate.
- Inception Report outlining the work/activities to be undertaken, including implementation plan and timelines.
- Monthly reports on the broad-based stakeholder consultations carried out under this assignment.
- Final Report on Consultancy which should show the methodology used, activities undertaken, successes, challenges, results, lessons identified and recommendations on how to address those lessons.
- and experience Qualifications
The selected consulting firm/individual consultant should have:
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in the field of public relations, journalism, communication or education or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of communication management and awareness raising;
- Demonstrated ability to create content for sustainable development, environmental issues or other relevant areas for a variety of audiences and for a wide range of media platforms.
- Experience in developing strategies, strategic plans, plans and handling press/media
- Proficiency in Somali and English languages.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal
- Experience in working with public institutions, NGOs, UN & international
- Knowledge of global environmental issues.
- Duration of assignment
The assignment runs for a period of two months: from December 20, 2021 – March 15, 2021.
- Submission Procedure
Interested Companies must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- A technical description including a letter of Interest, stating why you consider yourself suitable for the assignment;
- Brief methodology on the approach and implementation of the
- CVs of key technical personnel.
- Summary financial proposal indicating consultancy fee and a breakdown of expenses related to the
- Sample of past work: applicants are requested to submit similar assignments engaged in the past and designed to demonstrate the experiences required by this Terms of Reference.
- APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Interested qualified local vendors should submit their full RFP – Request for Proposal to (email@example.com) and copy firstname.lastname@example.org on or before COB 13th February 2021 5:00 PM. No late proposal shall be accepted. The subject field of the email when sending the application should be. RFP Developing a Public Awareness and Communication Campaign Plan
DOECC and UNDP reserves the right to determine the structure of the process, number of short-listed participants, the right to withdraw from the proposal process, the right to change this timetable at any time without notice and reserves the right to withdraw this tender at any time, without prior notice and without liability to compensate and/or reimburse any party.