REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Consultancy Services for Establishing Pilot Farms
RURAL LIVELIHOODS’ ADAPTATION TO CLIMATE CHANGE IN THE HORN OF AFRICA (RLACCII)
Sector: Agriculture Date Issued: 04 August 2020
Project ID. No: P-Z1-A00 – 023
Financing Agreement Reference: 5550155001402
The Federal Republic of Somalia has received financing from the African Development Bank toward the cost of Rural Livelihoods Adaptation to Climate Change in the Horn of Africa (RLACCII) project and intends to apply part of the agreed amount for this grant to payments under the contracts for the Consultancy Services of Establishing Pilot Farms.
The services under this project include the recruitment of Consultant Firm for Establishing Pilot Farms under 3 lots.
|Lot||Region||State||Number of Farms|
The Consulting firm will be responsible for leading the process of the site selection in consultation with the local community; crop production and continuous technical support to the regional governments and the local community. The overall objective is to improve the resilience to climate change of pastoral and agro-pastoral communities in targeted areas and increasing their adaptive capacity through the use of climate information and improved agricultural practices.
Duration of assignment: Nine (9) months from the date of award.
- Identifying, mobilizing and facilitating community groups and other stakeholders in consultation with ICPAC and local governments to participate in farm demonstrations,
- Conduct consultation with local community on site establishment for demonstration farms,
- Prepare seasonal work-plans in consultation with beneficiary farmers and the project technical team – detailing roles and responsibilities of farmers, and any other stakeholders,
- Lead the establishment of demonstration plots in collaboration with the local community and relevant ministries in the participating regional governments and work closely with teams from ICPAC in site selection and preparation, including soil testing,
- Work closely with extension workers and farmers on the identification and selection of crop varieties,
- Purchase of seeds, fertilizer where needed and pesticides for demonstration farms,
- Train farmers in the implementation of climate smart agriculture with the support of ICPAC team through the use of PICSA tool and farm demonstrations: This includes training and supervising communities in implementing better crop management practices including proper Crops Agronomy (proper seed selection, proper planting seed-bed preparation, seed spacing, depth of planting, timely planting, etc., weeding, fertility management, water/moisture conservation, etc.), IP/DM, and Harvesting and Post-harvest management.
- Lead Consultant:
- MSc degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Forestry Natural Resources Management or related field; Specialization and training as Agriculturist to implement new ideas to farmers and techniques to improve production
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy or equivalent experience in related field; Specialization and training in agronomy particularly in crop production and its Management practices
- Agriculture/ Irrigation Engineer:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Engineering and/or Civil Engineering
- All the other daily Laborers will be recruited by the firm based on the need.
The IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Centre (ICPAC) now invites eligible consulting firms to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.). Consultants may constitute joint-ventures to enhance their chances of qualification. A firm may express interest in one or more lots.
Eligibility criteria, establishment of the short-list and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the African Development Bank’s Procurement Policy, 2015, which is available on the Bank’s website at http://www.afdb.org.
Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours at the 08:00 hours to 16:00 hours.
Expressions of interest must be delivered by email or to the address below by 25 August 2020 at 3:00pm and mention “Consultancy Services for Establishing Pilot Farms”
IGAD Climate Prediction and Applications Centre (ICPAC)
Kibiku A Road, Near KIHIBIT, Ngong Town
Attention: Abukar Abdulle
P.O.Box 10304-00100, Nairobi, Kenya
T +254 070 604 9248