Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MOECHE)
Re-advertisement: Terms of reference for consultancy firm for development and review of teacher education materials and harmonization of course outline
|A. General Information|
|Post/Title||Consultancy firm for development and review of teacher education materials and harmonization of course outline|
|User department||Department of Education Service Development|
|Closing date||08-Mar-2021, 10am EAT|
|Project||GPE ESPIG Program|
Teachers are central to quality and equitable education delivery in schools. It is therefore important that the government has focused its attention on ensuring their effectiveness and efficiency so that the right people do teach learners in Basic Education. Teachers are the most important resource in today’s schools (OECD,2018). Furthermore, the National Curriculum requires that in order to take the curriculum materials to the classroom there has to be an effective teaching force that delivers teaching and learning. It is imperative to note that improving the effectiveness and efficiency of teachers depends on capacity to ensure competent people join the teaching profession.
According to the 2018-2020 ESSP, only 37.9% of the primary school teachers are qualified across the whole of Somalia, and only 20.8% in FGS/FMS regions. In 2019, the MoECHE conducted Teacher Proficiency Test and found that school teachers lack pedagogical skills and subject knowledge. This has a detrimental effect on the quality of education of our children and the ministry is intent on correcting this.
The Global Partnership for Education (GPE) funded Education Sector Program Implementation Grant (ESPIG) is aligned with the priorities of the Federal Government of Somalia’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP 2018-2020). The overall grant objective is to increase access to quality education for Somali children; enhance the quality of primary education; and improve the capacity of the MOECHE at Federal/Member States to regulate and manage the education sector. The grant is being implemented by the Federal Government of Somalia Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MoECHE) in collaboration with the Federal Member States’ Ministries of Education.
The ESPIG program will deliver a tailored in-service teacher training program in partnership with the Somali National University and other training providers in the FMS regions. The design of the in-service training is informed by the need to strengthen the pedagogical skills and subject knowledge of teachers so that eventually the quality of education is enhanced to ensure the dreams of students are realized.
The MoECHE is responsible for the development and approval of the training materials which should be aligned with the new curriculum and textbooks as well as the recommendations and the strategic steps suggested in the ESSP 2018-2020. Presently SNU and other Teacher Training Institutes have prepared a draft syllabus and subject contents that would be used to train teacher trainees but these materials have to be reviewed and customized to the National Curriculum. This consultancy is expected to undertake just that objective.
When the materials are approved by MoECHE, the SNU and partner universities located in FMS’ regions will provide teacher training courses whereby they will be subjected to rigorous assessments by MoECHE regarding their capacity to conduct effective teacher training in their regions.
- OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
The objective of the consultancy is to review and develop an in-service teacher training course resource materials that are aligned to the national curriculum and to ensure that the materials are digital friendly. The in-service teachers training will be foundational to the improvement of the quality of education in Somalia.
- Scope of Work
The work is expected to first review the available teacher training materials – syllabus and subject content of the primary curriculum- and secondly develop materials to the satisfaction of the ministry based on the demands of the National Curriculum. The consultancy firm will be expected to mobilize subject experts ensuring that materials developed are aligned with the national curriculum and are of quality standards. The main objectives of the consultancy are as follows:
- Review the course materials for the in-service teacher training and shape it to accommodate the on-line delivery of teacher training.
- Revision and development of materials/content for in-service teachers training program which includes but is not limited to:
- Development of materials/content FOR the in-service teaching course (10 subjects consisting of 2 modules each for each year).
- Customizing the training to digital content.
- Translation of the materials from English to Somali except for English.
- Conduct harmonization of approach workshops for all subject tutors so as to train them on on-line delivery of the courses.
The key deliverables in this consultancy are:
- Inception Report upon signing of the contract.
- Review and materials development, harmonization and making the contents digital friendly. Draft and finalized and approved Y1 training materials (8 subjects of the primary curriculum, 16 modules plus 4 education modules) and Y2 training materials (8 subjects, 16 modules plus 4 education modules). All materials should be both in English and Somali/Arabic languages.
- Conduct harmonization, consultation and validation workshops involving MoECHE and FMS MoEs.
- Final report that details the process, exercise, challenges and recommendation.
- Evaluation criteria
- Company’s registration and legal documents i.e., Written power of attorney, Valid Ministry of Commerce registration and Proof of tax clearance.
- Specific experience of the Consultancy Firm (as a firm) relevant to the assignment.
- Adequacy and quality of the proposed methodology, and work plan in responding to the Terms of Reference (TORs).
- Key Experts’ qualifications and competence for the Assignment:
- Project Manager
- Masters’ Degree (PhD preferred) in Education.
- Minimum 8 years mixed experience in secondary education/ teacher training and Education as well as curriculum development
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant professional experience in conducting similar tasks, particularly with recognized institutions and in a conflict set up
- Proven experience in curriculum development and development of interactive training materials.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of Somali language
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
- Fluency in English and Somali/Arabic
- 16 National Curriculum Subject experts- 2 per each subject (Islamic studies, Arabic, Somali, English, Math, Social studies, Technology & Science):
- Bachelor in education
- At least 5yrs of relevant teaching
- Experience in curriculum review and development
- 4 Education experts (psychology, sociology, philosophy, pedagogy):
- Master’s degree in education
- At least 5yrs of relevant experience
- Experience in curriculum review and development
- Project Manager
- Documents comprising the bid
- Technical proposal
- Cover letter/proposal submission letter signed by the owner/official representative of the company
- Company profile
- Written power of attorney
- Valid Ministry of Commerce registration
- Proof of tax clearance
- Evidence for similar experience in the form of contracts
- Proposed methodology and workplan responding to the ToR
- CVs of key experts
- Financial proposal
- Technical proposal
|1||Consultant’s costs (inclusive of all costs and taxes i.e. professional fees, DSA, transport or tickets, etc.)|
|· Project Manager||Persons||1||50days|
|· National curriculum subject experts||Persons||16||50days|
|· Education experts (psychology, sociology, philosophy, pedagogy)||Persons||4||50days|
|2||Workshop costs inclusive of venue rent, stationery costs, face masks, hand sanitizers, tickets and DSA for 16 FMS staff & transport for 12 participants from Banadir – Consultation & Validation workshops||Workshops||2||2days for each workshop|
|3||Translation of the content (English to Somali)||Modules||20||1|
|4||Translation of the content (English to Arabic)||Modules||20||1|
- Duration and timeframe
The duration of the assignment will be a total of 50 days, from the date of signing the contract.
- Submission of Applications:
The completed technical and financial proposals can be submitted through email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by Thursday 8th March 2020 at 10 am and indicate “Consultancy firm for development and review of teacher education materials and harmonization of course outline” as subject line. Request for clarifications can be submitted to the same email address 2 days before the deadline.
- No tender documents will be accepted after the bid submission deadline.
- Bidding process will be in accordance to the standard bidding procedures of the Ministry.