Offered Salary 1000
Career Level Administration/ Finance
Experience 5 Years
Gender Male / Female
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
ANPPCAN-SOM is a legally registered body in Somaliland and Somalia. It is a non-government, not-for-profit, and non-partisan organization concerned with the status of children and women in general and those in need of protection in particular. Since its establishment, ANPPCAN-SOM has been working to realize child rights, promote their protection and fight malnutrition through its projects. ANPPCAN-SOM has spearheaded efforts to create sound child rights and protection among political players, policymakers, policy implementers, and the general public through advocacy and communications.
The Operations Director will lead, direct and manage service and business operations across the organization. The post holder will work with local and external partners and be responsible for all aspects of service operations ensuring delivery of services in line with ANPPCAN-SOM and donors’ requirements achieving high quality and positive outcomes.
This is a senior role within the organization. The post holder will have wide-ranging responsibilities for the performance and development of internal services and operations. The post holder will work with the Executive Director, as part of a Senior Management Team, to implement the strategic plan and overall management of ANPPCAN-SOM ensuring the successful strategic development of the organization, including business planning, internal policies, procedures, and quality standards, cross-departmental working and external relations.
The post holder will be responsible for the organizational management of all key internal systems for the effective operation of the organization while supporting program staff in the delivery of an array of projects funded by multiple partners and donors.
This post will be full-time on a fixed-term basis, with the aim of this becoming a permanent post. This is a unique opportunity for a talented Operations Director to play a pivotal role in the continuing growth and development of a child rights NGO and gain a wealth of experience working with a small, but growing dedicated team.**
Executive Summary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Operations Director will comply with all organizational policies and procedures to safeguard all those it is in contact with, directly or indirectly, and work within the organization’s Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct to provide direct support to the Executive Director in relation to all the areas outlined below:
The Operations Director will have the following tasks – all in accordance with ANPPCAN-SOM rules, procedures, and standards:
A. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Oversee the overall organizational budgets to ensure the efficient operation of the organization and create a strong system for financial management and reporting for partners, facilitating the effective delivery of small, medium, and large scale grants;
- Ensure effective and accurate financial reporting according to funder guidelines or donor requests, keeping excellent records of all financial transactions, and manage any necessary spot checks, audits, or due diligence as required by funders or by the ANPPCAN-SOM board.
- Ensure effective and accurate financial resources management focusing on achievement of results;
- Support the development of effective fundraising proposals and grant bids, primarily through effective budgeting and review of organizational capacity to deliver planned programs;
- Review financial statements including bank reconciliation statements;
- Prepare and control operational budgets; and
- Recommend effective strategies for the financial well-being of the organization.
B. HUMAN RESOURCE
- Support the development of organizational structure and delegation of tasks and accountabilities;
- Ensure compliance with ANPPCAN-SOM rules and regulations for recruitment and human resource management including the elaboration of job descriptions for required staffing;
- Assist in recruitment and placement of required staff;
- Ensure development of workforce plans including competency frameworks to meet the operational requirements of the organization and establish work schedules;
- Monitor and evaluate staff performance in line with required competencies and in partnership with the Executive Director; and
- Ensure efficient human resource management and general administration of the grants focusing on achieving results.
C. STRATEGIC AND GOVERNANCE
- Oversee the day to day operations and administration of the organization;
- Cooperate with other departments for the development of a detailed strategic plan for the organization in collaboration with the organizational leadership;
- Play a crucial role in shaping the future direction and growth of the organization, through overall organizational budgeting, input into management meetings, and ongoing refinement of the organizational strategic plan;
- Ensure implementation of effective internal controls such as maintenance of the internal expenditures control system;
- Report to the executive director on the financial status of the organization and other key elements of operation on monthly basis and as required;
- Ensure all funding monitoring reports are accurate and submitted in a timely manner, including from sub-contractors; and
- Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals;
- Formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output;
- Monitor adherence to organizational and donor rules, regulations, and procedures;
- Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services departments; Procurement, Logistics, IT, HR, Accounts, and Finance;
D. PROCUREMENT AND CONTRACT MANAGEMENT
- Ensure provision of efficient procurement and logistical services, and supervision of team focusing on achievement of results;
- Review terms of reference to ensure the quality of inputs to be procured and ensure procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, and quality management.
- Monitor performance against targets and deliverables for all contracts including the performance of any sub-contracting partners;
- Produce monthly contracts management reports for internal senior management decision making ;
- Conduct financial tracking and monitoring of timely receipt of contract incomes, execution, and reporting (alongside the Finance Manager);
- Ensure contractual and regulatory (funding) compliance;
- Report contract performance trends and issues to project staff and to Executive Director; and
- Prepare other ad-hoc reports as requested by the Executive Director and funders.
E. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Uphold, demonstrate and promote the ethos and philosophy of the organization;
- Build excellent working relationships with staff of ANPPCAN-SOM and other key stakeholders including donors, partners, vendors, suppliers, contractors, beneficiaries, the community, and the Government;
F. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- University Degree (Masters or Equivalent) in Business Administration, Operations Management, International Development or Related Fields and CPA or ACCA professional certification.
- 7 years relevant work experience, at least 5 of which involve the similar senior experience of operational management of NGO or UN programs and projects;
- Substantive project operational management experience, including detailed working knowledge of finance, human resources, procurement, ICT, supply, asset management, and logistics;
- A soundtrack record of experience in an international setting with international organizations, UN agencies, or similar context;
- Computer proficiency, including knowledge of MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Good knowledge of accounting (QuickBooks) applications added advantage;
- Experience in reviewing internal control processes, audits, and compliance to the set standard operating procedures (SOPs) and grant management (donor relations and contract management).
- Excellent skills in managing financial resources, budgeting, accounting, monitoring, financial and narrative reporting, including participating in proposal development;
- Language: Fluency in English and Somali definitely an asset, but not a requirement; and
- Experience in logistics, procurement, security matters, and working in conflict-prone environments.
- Excellent communication skills, highly articulate verbally and in writing;
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and negotiating skills and experience;
- Well organized and capable of meeting deadlines;
- Workforce planning and development;
- Leadership to motivate a staff and volunteer workforce within a rapidly changing environment;
- Strong skills in finance and budget management;
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail; and
- Computer literate.
H. SPECIAL CONDITIONS
- This is an un-accompanied position to be based in Hargeisa which is a non-family duty station;
- Up to 25% of the time required for travel to field areas including Mogadishu, Garowe, and Sool;
- R&R arrangements;
- Shops and almost all goods available. A pleasant, moderate climate
- Food and accommodation provided
I. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
ANPPCAN-SOM has a Staff Code of Conduct and Child and Adult Safeguarding Policy developed to ensure the maximum protection of children and Adult Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA). ANPPCAN-SOM also has an Anti-Bribery-and-Corruption-Policy and Whistle-Blower & Protection policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of ANPPCAN-SOM, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty and protect all employees to achieve compliance with various laws and regulations. Any candidate offered a job with ANPPCAN-SOM is expected to adhere to these policies, other ANPPCAN-SOM, and Donor rules and regulations.**
ANPPCAN-SOM practices zero-tolerance against child and adult abuse. ANPPCAN-SOM has zero-tolerance concerning aid diversion and illegal actions and may screen applicants against international lists to ensure due diligence and compliance with Anti-money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism requirements. **
“We need to keep children safe, so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects ANPPCANSOM’s commitment to the protection of children and adults from all forms of abuse”. Our Child and Adult Safeguarding Policy apply to all ANPPCANS-SOM staff. All staffs are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our Child and Adult Safeguarding policy.*
ANPPCAN-SOM upholds the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, Unity, and universality. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. **
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. ANPPCAN-SOM reserves the right to change, revise, omit, and add in part /in whole this document any time without giving any reason thereof.**
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit their application letter and updated resume as one document with a minimum of two references, expected salary remuneration, copies of relevant certificates and credentials, via email at email@example.com not later than the 19th of June, 2021, at 5:00 pm. Kindly indicate “**The Operations Director**”** in the subject of the email when sending your application. Only the applicants who have followed the above instructions will be considered during short-listing. If you have not received an answer through email or phone call within two weeks after the closing date, you may consider that you have not been selected for this position on this occasion. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.