Offered Salary 1000
Career Level Officer
Experience 3 Years
Gender Male / Female
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
External Job Advert
Position: Construction Officer
Construction Officer is responsible to oversee the implementation of ECW project construction activates like construction of primary school, latrines construction and water works undertakings in the field office in close cooperation with Education Program Manager. He/she is expected to have sound experience and knowledge on design, supervision and contract administration of schools, & latrine construction, sand water supply and sanitation facilities. The position involves regular trips to and supervision of all construction works at targeted sites. As part of the assignment, he/she is expected to design appropriate technologies (economical, durable and manageable scheme), adhere to agreed construction methodologies and standards and mobilize community and local authorities to participate in the construction from the planning through the construction phases. S/he is expected to liaise with communities, local authorities and other agencies regularly to ensure coordination and effective quality construction implementation of activities.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- In close collaboration with Education Program Manager the post holder will ensure effective implementation of project construction works (construction of primary schools, latrines and school WASH facility).
- Take the lead in monitoring the construction work and give regular updates.
- Give technical support to contractors during the construction process.
- Ensure that the construction work is implemented in line with the construction design and drawing.
- Ensure that the project construction work is done in line with SCI construction standards and quality
- Give regular update to the education program manager on the status of the construction work and alert it if there is any delay from the contractor side.
- Check whether the contractor has done the work as per the agreed plan and closely work with education program manager in releasing the construction payment as per the entitled payment.
- Fulfill other task assigned to your line manager.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary capacity to improve performance and applying appropriate measures when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for himself/herself (and their team).
- Takes responsibility for his/her own personal actions and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares his/her personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, his/her team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
In order to be successful you will bring/have:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc Degree in civil engineering or related field and over 3 years of relevant experience in Construction work.
- Experience in an international NGO or similar organization.
- Good technical knowledge of policy and practice in the field of construction and contract management as well as other cross cutting issues
- A good understanding of development issues and the policy context in the operational areas and Ethiopia generally.
- Experience in working the construction of schools, latrines and school wash facility.
- Computer literate in word processing and excel packages.
Understanding of child rights and their protection and fulfilment in the development context
- Awareness of international accountability standards including HAP (Humanitarian Accountability Partnership) and a demonstrated commitment to promoting these standards in ways of working and project implementation.
- Experience of working with an international NGO especially in refugee context.
- Experience in managing and supervising the construction of primary schools, latrines and school Wash facilities.
- Experience of effectively communicating findings to internal/external stakeholders.
Experience in child friendly accountability systems. We offer a competitive package in the context of the role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Closing Date: Jun 15, 2021