REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
DIGITAL STORY TELLING TRAINING CONSULTANCY (ONLINE OR IN-PERSON) TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR) FOR THE TRAINING CONSULTANT/S
Application Deadline: 7 November, 2020
Terms of Reference (TOR): – Consultancy for Development and Facilitation of Training Program on Digital Story Telling Methodologies
Somali Academy of Science and Arts (SOMASA)
SOMASA is an independent, non-profit making, professional institution dedicated to research, innovation and promotion of science and culture. Thanks to the contribution of CISP and European Union, the Academy resumed its activities in December 2016, after 25 years of inactivity, due to the civil war. The Academy is a strategic partner in the cultural sector in Somalia, as it is the most relevant local institution in the country, with the task of promoting, coordinating and monitoring actions in Science and Arts sectors at a national level. Among its core functions, SOMASA provides research leadership in the country and advises the Somali government, the general-public and other stakeholders on cultural heritage preservation matters. Among its objectives, the Academy promotes, preserves, and protects Somali cultural heritage and make it a foundation for Somalia’s development goals.
SOMASA is an implementing partner in a Culture project targeting Youth (ArtXchange – Connecting Creative Youth in Africa and Europe) led by CISP and co-funded by the European Union (EU). The project is focused on enhancing inclusion, empowerment, and connection for youth in the creative sector in Africa and Europe by supporting young creative professionals, CSOs and organizations and promoting collaboration, capacity building and exchanges in Kenya, Somalia, Italy and Sweden.
The Artxchange project seeks to use innovative methodologies in trainings and capacity building, collaborations, partnerships and networking to create linkages and learning platforms that will embrace all youths in the creative sector in Mogadishu and connect them with their peers in Africa and Europe. The purpose of this assignment will be to develop a program, train and orient the youths in Somalia on Digital storytelling, increasing their access to new methodologies and practices fused with Somali tradition.
The Somali Academy of Science and Arts (SOMASA) seeks an experienced facilitator to develop and deliver an 8-day training for approximately 20 youth (40% women) from 18 to 35 years old based in Mogadishu, Somalia. The Digital Story telling proposals can include the use of radio, podcast, social media platforms, design, and much more – to allow Somali Youth telling their stories to a wider range of public, increasing their accessibility to new methodologies and practices to be fused with Somali tradition.
The Training proposal should ensure a high-quality learning opportunity for artistic and professional development.
• Prepare training agenda, curriculum, materials, and resource guides.
• Participate in planning meetings with SOMASA, CISP Somalia and CISP Kenya planning committee.
• Conduct an 8-day training for approximately 20 participants.
• Provide assistance and guidance to participants.
• Conduct a debrief session and present a Report following the training.
- 2 days consultation on program and agenda and participants screening
- 8 days training (from 2nd week of December)
- 2 days debrief sessions and Final Report
• Deep understanding of Story Telling as a training technique – at least 2 years’ experience
• Passion for the promotion of equity, diversity and accessibility in the Art and Cultural Sector
• Deep knowledge of innovative and digital story telling techniques (radio, podcast, social media, etc.)
• Excellent communication, active listening and facilitation skills
• Demonstrated training experience in diverse teams and experience with various organizations and senior leadership
• Effectively facilitates power dynamics and difficult conversations in group settings
• Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Preferred Additional Expertise
• Knowledge of the Somali context
• Fluency in verbal and written Somali
How to apply
How to apply:
- Curriculum Vitae of the consultant/consultants indicating 3 references and links to previous publications and/or works.
- A technical proposal (max. 4 pages) indicating your understanding of the ToR with annexes for a training workplan.
- Financial Proposal (max. 1 page) providing cost estimates for services rendered including daily consultancy fees and materials/supplies needed for the training.
Interested parties should submit by 1200HRS-EAT, 7th November 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org and CC email@example.com – Email subject: DIGITAL STORY TELLING PROPOSAL
SOMASA is strongly committed to ending Child Abuse, all forms of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, and to building a work environment that is safe and welcoming for all, where Sexual Harassment does not take place. The desired candidate for any position should share and support this commitment in all aspects of their personal and professional behaviour. Any history implicating that the applicant has a history of Child Abuse, Sexual Exploitation and Abuse, or Sexual Harassment, is a reason for excluding him or her from employment with SOMASA.